1. View into the exhibition room as you enter the hall on the second floor of the muesum. The central work, “Conquest or Compassion”, an alternative altar, so to speak, is closed.
2. A Guest studying the catalogue, with the “Indigenous portraits” wall in the background.
3. «Present Absence» 31.08.2012: Oil painting on cotton canvas/cardboard 122,8x157,3 after water colour painting 16.04.1987
4. Fápmu (Power), is a painting of the sacred mountain Sálašoaivi. This and the following two paintings form a unity, and are all based on earlier watercolour sketches of winter landscapes, real and imaginary ones.
5. «Maŋemus suolu» 02.09.2012: Oil painting on cotton canvas/cardboard 122,4x157,3 after water colour painting 16.04.1987
6. «Similar Difference (Madonna with child)»3 x 80x60 oil paintings on cotton canvas montert i en ramme
7. «Muittut/Albumblad» 24.10.2007: Oil painting on cotton canvas 00,0 x 00,0 after sketch.01.1978
8. Angami Naga Mother and son «Asolie & Jakieno Sanyü » after sketch 15.08.07
9. Angami Naga, Nagaland (occupied by India and Burma) «Apuno Chase» 07. 06.2007, olje på lerret/plate
10. Installation ‘altar’ “Conquest or Compassion / Kosmisk Utfordring”
Alterskap med bord, i tre og møbelplater, messing, plexiglass
11*. «Searching for Father»17.12.2010: Relieff i tre;
12*. «Moises Gamarra from Amazonia» 2007: olje /oil 72,2x58,1 after sketch 29.08.1977
13*. «Sacred Land, Sacred Art» (Puma figure from Sun Gate at Tiahuanaco by Lake Titicaca) 06.02.2007 Multimedia painting (oil, acryl, ink & crayon) on canvas 99x79
14* Native American «Iris Marshall» 24. 04.2007: olje på lerret;
15. Maori «Ida Smith, Aotearoa» 19.04.2007: olje på lerret;
16*. Yami people, Pongshu, Taiwan «ShiNgaRaMo» 31.03.2007: Olje på lerret;
17. «Indigenous Anonymous (Venezuela)» 21.04.2007: olje på lerret
18*. Sápmi «Usikker identitet/ Assimilation policy» 04.08. 2006 olje;
19*. Sápmi «Ánde» 23.04.2007: olje på lerret;
20*. Native American«Vanishing, not by choice» 11.06.2007: olje på lerret;
21. Main installation tripthyk, table, & sunken surface with maskes, staff and ' 2 'apples', one red, one green…
22. Main installation tripthyk, table front (antemensale)
23. Main installation lock, Tellus (Earth) & Mars
24. Main installation tripthyk, opened, «ConQUEST or COMpassion / Kosmisk utfordring»
25. Exhibition poster: Aajmoste aajmose / Árvvut / Conquest or Compassion / Fra bekymret omtanke til helbredende handling…
All pictures on these pages are of course copyrighted, any copying without prior allowance is illegal. Please respect that, thank you, and enjoy!
Just back from Mueffie/Mo i Rana in the
border area of South Sápmi and Upmeje Sápmi, I am pleased to present top a
wider public the exhibition there during the Sámi Church Days 9. – 11. August.
Anne Dalheim of the Sámi Church Council opened my exhibition on the UN
International Day of Indigenous Peoples. I was glad that about 70 people were
able to attend, despite the very packed program, and some 10 minutes walking
distance (much more, for those who do not know the way!). Naturally I also said
a few words, but here I more or less let the artwork speak their visual
language as best they can. However the best is to be there in person, so if you
have a chance, go to Helgeland Museum in Mo i Rana, the exhibition is there
until the end of August.
This is the first exhibition of mine
without graphic art, only paintings. They are all oil colour paintings on
cotton canvas, except for the frames and the outer parts of the installation
(Doors, table, masks, etc.). Apart from the portrait paintings, mostly done 7
years ago, the “Muittut” painting and carved wood painting (“Searching for father,
nr 11) all have been made specifically for this exhibition.
The exhibit is supported economically by the
Nordic Sámi Council, the Sámi Parliament of Norway and the Troms County Council.
It will re-open, almost unchanged, at Arran in Divtasvuodna on February 6th 2014!